BC Chamber of Commerce 2022 Collective Perspective Regional Reports Now Available
The BC Chamber of Commerce has released the results of its annual 2022 Collective Perspective survey, designed to identify and understand the issues and challenges facing businesses across the province. For the first time, the results identify both provincial trends and regional differences and similarities on key issues across the province.
“The findings confirm the advocacy efforts of the BC Chamber of Commerce and its provincial network are focused on the right issues.” said Fiona Famulak, President and CEO of the BC Chamber of Commerce. “We must address the escalating cost of doing business in our province and ensure that the necessary social infrastructure such as housing and inter-community transportation is in place to help businesses attract/retain talent and contribute to the economic health of our communities.”
Notable provincial results indicate:
- 68% of respondents say the most important factor for the success of their business is the ability to recruit and retain talent.
- Three key issues have become worse in the past year:
- the cost of doing business (87%)
- the cost of labour (76%)
- the availability of workers (70%)
- 78% of respondents are “very confident” or “confident” in the future success of their business.
The BC Chamber of Commerce engaged noted pollster and public commentator Mario Canseco, President of Research Co, to analyze the survey data. Between May 9-18, 2023, the provincial association hosted five virtual Regional Roadshows, at which Mr. Canseco spoke directly with BC Chamber of Commerce members from each of B.C.’s seven economic regions about their regional data and how they compare with the rest of the province.
Each of the 2023 Regional Roadshow presentation decks and recordings can be accessed below:
- Kootenays: click here to access the presentation deck, and click here to watch the recording.
- Lower Mainland/Southwest: click here to access the presentation deck, and click here to watch the recording.
- Thompson/Okanagan: click here to access the presentation deck, and click here to watch the recording.
- Vancouver Island/Gulf Islands: click here to access the presentation deck, and click here to watch the recording.
- North West, North East and Central BC: click here to access the presentation deck, and click here to watch the recording.